Wednesday, September 17, 2008

Remembering. . .

Zachary is such a healthy, athletic, crazy, full of life, fun kid that I sometimes forget about how he started life. He has always had excellent cardiac updates and only has to see the cardiologist every three years now. But, then something happens and it reminds me of his birth, open heart surgery and all the emotions associated with that time. Today was one of those days.

He has been complaining of shortness of breath. I kept saying that it was probably his newly diagnosed allergies. But, today he felt "funny' at school and his teacher emailed me. I decided that I should probably take him to the doctor. The nurse practitioner heard a murmur, which is not usual for him. So, after listening some more, she thought we should contact his cardiologist and run into the clinic for a chest x-ray and EKG. The nurse at the cardiologist's office was very helpful. She spoke to our favorite doctor and called us back and let us know that by the description of symptoms, he did not think that we needed to rush right over to Peoria and could keep our October appointment. But, they wanted the x-ray and EKG so they could take a look at what, if anything, is going on. And the good news for Zach. . .the doc said he could still participate in basketball practice this week!!

I can't believe how quickly my mind went back to St. Francis hospital and the hours spent watching Zach and praying that God would allow him to live. What a great reminder of the blessings I have in my life and true source of those blessings.

In ten short years, he has gone from this. . .



To this . . .

Praise God! And, boy do I feel guilty for complaining about his surly mood lately! :>

No comments: