Friday, January 2, 2009

As you have read, December 19th was our 16th wedding anniversary.  Several people have asked how we met.  We met at IU.  We lived in the same dorm - Brian lived on Teter 1 and I was on Teter 3.  We first met in the fall of 1989.  We were having a "barn dance" and the girls from our floor were checking out the guys and trying to figure out who to set our roommates up with.  We were standing around on Teter 1 talking when I opened my mouth and said something.  Brian turned to me with a look of shock and said, "Where are YOU from?"  Apparently I had quite a twang and me mistook southern Indiana twang for Tennessee.  So, those were his first words ever to me.  And no, we did not go to that dance together!  I thought him to be very rude after that comment, and besides, my roommate did not set me up with him!

Fast forward to December . . . Brian and I started spending time together studying with some other friends.  I considered him a great friend and nothing else.  He could make me laugh when I was feeling frustrated by finite math.  Christmas break came and we went our separate ways - him to northern Indiana and me to the southern "twangy" part of the state!

After break, we continued our friendship.  We spent more and more time together.  It was completely innocent.  I guess deep down I knew that I felt something more for him, but I was not about to admit it and risk losing our friendship or his being appalled that I felt like that.

Long story short - we finally admitted that we had feelings other than friendship for each other and had our first official date in late February.  Bowling and Pizza Express - still our idea of a fun night.

He proposed to me - are you ready for this - at the jewelry store at the mall!  I said yes, but when we got to the car, I made him ask me"for real!"  We were married in December of 1992.  

It has been 16 years, and it has been a wild ride.  We never could have imagined the plans God had for us.   A wild ride thus far?  Yes.   Ready to continue the ride?  Of course!

Aren't we sweet?  



No comments: