Friday, December 9, 2011

MRI Results


This was originally a "note" I wrote on Facebook:


Today was the day of the big appointment.  When we got there we found out that the radiologist had failed to send the report as requested by our doctor.  However, our doctor read the MRI images himself.  To make sure he wasn't missing anything, he had Dr. Bane, the orthopaedic surgeon read it as well.  Everything looks GREAT!  There are no signs of hip degeneration or fractures!!  

I told the doctor that I was so relieved and that I had shed many a tear worrying.  He looked up, smiled, and said "I was pretty worried too.  But I have to admit I didn't shed tears."  I have to stop and say that Dr. Zimmerman has been great with us.  He treated us as people and not just patients.  As a matter of fact, everybody in the Carle Sports Medicine department treated us that way!  A big thank you and shout out to them!

Back to the subject at hand:  What does this mean for Zach?  Dr. Z's originial exlusionary diagnosis of synovitis stands.  Since we don't have to worry that Zach is hurting his hip joint or bone, he can bear weight now and limp around! Bye bye crutches!!!  Still use Aleve for pain and inflammation.  He can stand and shoot free throws or baskets at basketball practice.  No running, jumping, etc.  Basically stand there and dribble and shoot.  However, he was excited to hear that.  

It also means that Zach starts physical therapy on the 20th to work on that leg.  Get that joint moving and start building up strength, stamina, and flexibility.  He remains out of PE until he regains some of the aforementioned.  Dr. Z also told him that he probably will not play basketball this season, but that golf season looks good!

To say I am relieved is an understatement.  We went out to eat after our appointment.  At one point, I looked up at Zach and just started crying.  Not huge sobbing, mind you, just tears running.  Brian and Zach looked at each other, made a "what the heck" face and started giggling.  Zach, however,  was relieved too, because he leaned into me and said I love you.  Poor kid has gone from thinking he had a groin strain to having a possible bone degeneration disease all within a month and a half.  Like he said, this is harder and worse than the original thought of a groin strain, but a heck of a lot better than the other!

Thank you to everyone who has watched our other kids while we went to appointments, showed concern, prayed for him, wrote a note, listened to me voice concerns, etc!!  As Zach said today, I love you!



Can't wait to go from this. . . 


Back to this!!!!

No comments: