Sunday, December 4, 2011

Paragi Injury Report

A lot has happened since I last posted about Zach's injury.  We sought a second opinion and it has been determined that it is not a groin pull or strain.  Rather it is something wrong with the hip bone/joint itself.  We have been treating for synovitis for a few weeks.  Synovitis is  "the inflammation of a synovial (joint-lining) membrane and is usually painful, particularly on motion, and characterized by swelling, due to effusion (fluid collection) in a synovial sac."


Our current doctor started him on a regimen of 2 Aleve 2 times a day and complete non-weight bearing until he can walk with absolutely NO pain.  Unfortunately, we have yet to reach that point as the pain continues and he can not walk without a severe limp and said pain.  I will tell you that he is tired of those crutches.


Last week, it was decided that we needed to do an MRI to get a better look.  They are looking to make sure that there are no signs of bone degeneration.  Unfortunately, scheduling an MRI for Zach was a nightmare.  Because he has a pacemaker wire left in his chest from his open heart surgery, we had to have the cardiologist or surgeon give approval for the MRI.  The surgeon gave verbal approval but the radiologist needed written documentation.  


To make a very long and frustrating story short, I will just say that the surgeon's office faxed the paperwork.  The sports med nurse didn't get it.  This went on several times and I became a mother bear and called the surgeon's office.  On Friday, we got the call that we had all the paper work, it was being sent to the lab and a scheduler should be calling us soon.  


Zach remains in good spirits, especially when with friends and at school.  At home, he will sometimes get "down."  Last night my heart wrinkled when he came up behind me in the kitchen and just stood there.  I asked him, "What?"  He asked. "How long am I going to be like this?  How long is it going to take to heal?  What if it is bone degeneration?  Then how long?"  I put on my 'momma loves you and I will be strong face' and told him I just didn't know.  But that I did know we would go through everyday together and get through it.  He went on to get something to snack on (somethings haven't changed) and I went to the bedroom and cried.


I can't wait to get this thing over with!!  We just want answers.  I want to be able to answer his questions but I just can't.  So, we go into a new week with a hope that this is the week that we will find out some more answers about the pain and a treatment plan.  My hope, as I said, is that there is no bone degeneration.  I pray they only see fluid with inflammation and we can continue with the current treatment plan.



No comments: