Sunday, March 4, 2012

8th Grade Basketball Banquet

Zach was not looking forward to his Basketball Banquet this year.  I admit that I wasn't excited about attending either.

We joked that when he got his stats they would look great - 100% for everything - no turnovers, perfect from the field, perfect from the free throw line, etc.  It is easy to have those kinds of stats when you are injured and didn't play the entire season.  Despite that joking, it was hard to go knowing that those stats would say that.  He would have been happier had they said 25% from the line and 20 turnovers.  Well, not happy, but you know what I mean.

The 8th grade coach gives out awards for those who are in the "Free Throw Club."  If you hit 25 free throws in a row during practice, you are in the 25 club.  If you make 50, you are in the 50 club.  You get the point.  You can't just SAY you made them either.  They have to be witnessed by more than one reliable person.

Not long after Zach was cleared to do stationary shooting during practice, he came home excited that he had hit 40 free throws in a row.  He kept saying that he thought he would get a plaque for that achievement.  I didn't want to get his hopes up.  I wasn't sure if they would count since he wasn't "dressing" and participating in full practices.  So, I just teased him about why he missed the 41st!

We were excited for him when he did indeed get a plaque and became a member of the "Free Throw 25 Club"  during the banquet.  I was surprised at my reaction - I had tears.  It was nice to see that even through all that "junk," Zach had the integrity, loyalty and sportsmanship to keep on going and not quit.  He went to practices and participated to the level at which he could.   Even Brian got choked up and couldn't speak for a few seconds.  Just a few seconds though.  He had to remind Zach that only 10 more and it would have been the 50 Club.

I know that what Zach dealt with this season is minimal compared to the things that others are experiencing right now.  However, during this time, he has reminded me of the importance of loyalty, integrity and never giving up.  Maybe those reminders are just what I need as I walk with those who are experiencing their hard times right now.


Congratulations, Zach!


No comments: