Saturday, May 15, 2010

Bring a Friend to Lunch


Friday was the 2nd Grader's Bring a Friend to Lunch day. I was going to surprise Jacob. However, on Thursday evening he started getting really sad that no one would be there to eat with just him and he would have to pair up with someone else. I told him I was sorry, but I just couldn't do it. Then he asked "Can't you just get a sub." There were tears in his voice. I couldn't do it any longer. I looked up at him, smiled and said I was planning on being there and I had wanted to surprise him. He was excited and went to bed quickly without those tears spilling out of his voice into his eyes.

My second grader - Jacob
Playing two hand touch football. Looks a lot like tackle to me!
Jacob screaming "I'm open, I'm open!!"
Pop - at SCHOOL! Now he thought was way cool!
Before making my final decision, I went back and forth about whether I should attend. It meant rescheduling a meeting for another time. It meant tackling all that crazy traffic. It meant a rushed chaotic lunch hour. It meant my wondering how it would look to my principal. It meant some early prep for my afternoon round of kids. But, a BIG THANK YOU to those incredible people I work with who reminded me that I am a mommy first and a teacher second! The look in his eyes was pure excitement when he found out I was going. I will NEVER get his 2nd Grade Bring a Friend to Lunch Day back. But I will have plenty of other meetings and relaxing lunches! I left the school with tears in my eyes knowing I had done the right thing.

No comments: