Monday, May 13, 2013

Relay For Life 2013

Saturday evening, Mahomet hosted a Mini Relay for Life.  The event lasted from 6 pm until midnight. 

 The first lap of the night is the Survivor Lap.  Those who are currently fighting or have fought this awful disease walk.  I cry every time I witness a Survivor Lap.  In that group I see co-workers, neighbors, friends and many more.  The next lap is the caregiver lap.  Anyone who has cared for someone as they battled cancer is encouraged to walk.  Again, tears stream as I watch this group pass.  Some have lost those they cared for.  Others are walking with the one they cared for.   


 A friend makes a luminaria in memory of her dad.   I left before they were lit, but have heard it was a beautiful ceremony.  Someone played bagpipes and everyone walked a lap as they were lit.  



Lizzie and her friend, M.  I think this is their third Relay together!


All "Freshman Advisories" were encouraged to have teams.  It was a great way to get the students involved.  Zach and his friend, C, would NOT let me take their picture.  They would either look away and smile or look at me and scowl!  

Zach said the lighting of the luminarias and the bagpipe lap was pretty powerful.  It is good for these students to see and get involved in an event like this.  Many of the students have family members who are fighting cancer currently or have in the past.  Some have lost parents to the disease.  

Relay for Life used to be something I just "did."  But as I get older, I realize just how many people I know have been diagnosed with this disease - my grandpa, friends, co-workers, other family members, friend's family members, the list goes on and on.  I am no longer naive enough to believe that this is someone else's disease.  This disease touches everyone in some way.  

No comments: