Thursday, November 19, 2015

And Six Years Later



Six years ago this month I was waiting on a final diagnosis.  I felt much better but still had numbness and tingling in my arms.  My arms would still "seize" up periodically and I tired easily.

Today I had my annual follow-up with my neurologist.  On the quick look, he said my brain looks great and no new lesions were seen on my spine.

The office exam of gait, balance and reflexes indicated that I look like a "million bucks."  Essentially, I continue to have "wussy MS."  I left there today with a big smile on my face and tear of relief in my eyes.

When you have a disease like MS, you live in the constant knowledge that at any point it could be devastating the mylein in your brain and/or spine.  However, I have learned how to live with that knowledge without letting it control who I am or cripple me emotionally.

I think back to six years ago and what do I remember?  I do remember the feeling of anxiousness.  Sure I was scared, but what do I remember most?  The people who walked with us through that time.  Those who brought me meals, helped me clean my house (even my distaster of a closet), drove me around, brought us groceries, cared for my children, called, texted, listened to, hugged and prayed for us.

I have not forgotten you and all you have done for me and my family.  Thank you!




No comments: