Thursday, June 16, 2011

Whose Responsibility?

Brian had a good talk with Zach last night. We realized that we were trying to tell him things that we had not fully explained. We had not told him that we struggle with things sometimes and it is normal for him to do so.

They talked about outreach. They talked about spiritual growth. They talked about responsibility. In the end, the botttom line is this, only Zach is responsible for his spiritual growth. We will help him, give him the tools, study with him, refer him to the youth minister with questions, etc. But, he has to be the one to actually do it.

In that vein, not everything that occurs at church is designed to "feed him." He can only feed himself. Brian explained that we are all guilty of feeling that way at times - man that sermon didn't apply to me - he was talking to those who weren't there. Man, I don't feel like I am being "fed." Man, that music was lame. Etc, etc. Basically, we are being self-centered. We are making it all about us. Not about a relationship with God. We want someone to feed us, make us feel good. Do what WE want. That is not what it is about. We have to take ownership of our growth.

Finally, I am hopeful that Zach took to heart this discussion. There are different purposes for different activities - worship, fellowship, outreach, etc. And as he grows as a Christian, he should continue to seek the Word and feed himself as he finds his place within those purposes. Further more, I am hopeful that Brian and I can be an example for all the kids concerning these issues. They are certainly areas in which I need to grow!

I write this because as my kids continue to grow, the more I think they know, the more I realize that they don't always fully understand. Kids don't learn by osmosis. They must be taught intentionally. If we do that in school, then why don't we do it at home?

What things are you working on teaching your kids intentionally? Will you help hold me accountable for doing the same?

No comments: